Re: [SLE] Permissions on the /tmp directory?
  • From: stefan.troeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stefan Troeger)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:52:11 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 03 2000 at 09:38 +0100, Kevin Jackson wrote:

> I did this with near fatal results, except I moved the /var/ directory.

There shouldn't be any problems with this (other than making sure
that no program is running that wants access to /var while you're
moving stuff around).

> I'm still sorting out the permissions...
>
> t stands for (according to man chmod):
>
> Save Program Text On Swap Device

That's only the case for executables. Once you run one that has
the sticky bit set, the program text is saved on the swap
partition to speed up program startup the next time the program
is run. This has btw. no effect on Linux (i.e. it's ignored).

If the sticky bit is set on a directory only the owner of a file
in that directory can delete it. Consider a world writable
directory like /tmp. Without the sticky bit everyone could delete
your temporary files, which is probably not desirable.

Ciao,
Stefan