From: Christopher D. Reimer [mailto:creimer@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 02 April 2000 01:35
To: SuSE Linux Mailing List
Subject: [SLE] Permissions on the /tmp directory?

Greetings!

I just recently picked up a Seagate Cheetah 4GB SCSI hard drive for $75 from
a co-worker. I created a /scsi1 mount point for the hard drive and a
/scsi1/tmp directory, moved the current contents of the /tmp directory to
/scsi1/tmp, and created a symbolic link on the root partition for /tmp to
point to /scsi1/tmp. I was curious to notice that the old /tmp directory
had the following permissions: drwxrwxrwt. (I presume that the "t" is the
sticky bit.)

Do I need this particular permission on the symbolic link? How do I set it?

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer