[SLE] Modules
  • From: sander.van.vugt@xxxxxxxx (Sander van Vugt)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 09:58:20 +0200

Hi there,

There's something I don't understand about modules. They say it's good to
compile support for devices as modules in the kernel, since it saves system
resources.

Well, some time ago I did, I compiled the kernel with support for the
ide-scsi device, and I did it as a module. I restarted my system and nothing
happened. Someone explained to me that I should do a "modprobe ide-scsi" to
make it work.

I don't understand that. I always thought there was some intelligent
mechanism which would load the module automatically if I needed it, and now
it seems there isn't. Well, I can live with that, but than I don't
understand the advantage of the use of modules; it's impractical to do a
"modprobe xyz" before one can use a device, and it takes my system resources
anyway if I do the "modprobe xyz" at startup.

I hope someone can explain to me why it is good to use them anyway.

Thanks, Sander

Disclaimer

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of
the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of the Azlan Holdings bv and/or
subsidiary. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this email in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email
is strictly prohibited.

Azlan Holdings MIS Helpdesk by telephone on
+31 (0) 79 3443200.