Re: [SLE] On-line documentation fixed in 6.4?
  • From: budr@xxxxxxxxxxx (Bud Rogers)
  • Date: 02 Apr 2000 15:31:47 -0500

Bill Moseley <moseley@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Are you talking about 6.3 or 6.4?

I have 6.3. Upgraded in place from 6.1, which might have changed things a
bit but I think not much.

> I had a number or problems. For example, I wanted to look at the howtos
> their URL is:
> http://localhost/howto/en/html/HOWTO-INDEX.html

Now that you mention it, there was a problem getting to the howtos. As I
remember the path did not include the en subdir. I just mv'ed the
directory to the right place.

> The problem is that there's no /howto/ Alias. So I had to add this to
> httpd.conf:
> Alias /howto/ /usr/doc/howto/

True, but there is an alias to /usr/doc. If you fix the howto/en problem,
I think it will solve that one too.

> Now a bunch of web pages have <A HREF="http://localhost";> in them. Now
> that won't work over the network, of course. So that's busted too in the
> 6.3 distribution.
>
> For example, the page http://localhost/hilfe/index_e.html has this in the
> source:
>
> <LI><B><A HREF="http://localhost/htdig/search.html";>Full Text Retrieval</A>
>
> and this:
>
> <LI><A HREF="http://localhost/doc/sdb/en/html/index.html";>
> Support DataBase - local with search</A>

I haven't set up htdig or text search yet. I plan to do that "one of these
days." There's a package called dochost that has to do with that. There's
a readme about setting up a SuSE box as a central documentation server
using dochost. You might want to take a look at that if you haven't yet.

I made the sort of changes to httpd.conf you'd expect -- ServerName,
ServerAdmin, etc, but not much else. The only significant change I made
was to fix that broken path to the howtos, and to write a smaller index
page. I have a link from my index page to the top of the english susehilf
tree like this: <A HREF="doc/susehilf/index_e.html">On Line Help</A> In
fact that's nearly all it has so far. Most of the links on the susehilf
page work both locally and from remote hosts.

> Are you saying in your 6.3 distribution this file doesn't contain HREFs
> pointing to localhost?

The info2html and manpage links work only locally. I guess that's what
you're referring to. The info2html package uses cgi-bin to read local info
pages, and the manpage links use rman to read local man pages. Perhaps
setting up dochost would take care of those.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@xxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/zamm.html

Assembly of Japanese bicycle require great peace of mind.