Re: [SLE] IP Masq / DHCP / Firewalling (Reply: LONG!)
  • From: agtiger@xxxxxxxxxxx (Argentium G. Tiger)
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 14:40:28 -0500

At 12:31 PM 04/02/2000 +0000, Samy Elashmawy <samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi folks,

Hi Samy. :-) Looks like I get a chance to repay the favor and help you with some system configurations.

>I got wvdial.dod working with the german version from suse.de. Thanks for
>the link.
>
>Now whats next ?
>
>Dhcp ?? ip masq ??? Firewall ??

Well, I'll tell you what I did, provide some examples, and maybe this will give you a quicker start.

It sounds like you're preparing a firewall/dialout box that connects you to the internet whenever one of your machines on your internal nettwork needs IP services/a connection to the internet.

(and from your next message):

>opps forgot to add , using suse usa 6 cd distro , dial up modem with
>wvdial.dod external modem on com 1 , 10 megabit ne200 compatable ethernet
>as eth0 , firewall/ipmasq/dhcp set ip as 10.20.30.9 , while the other
>machines have there ips set as 10.20.30.1....4 , and dial up gets its ip
>address from the isp on each new dial in, with a new ip on each new dial in .

Ok, the examples I'm going to provide use the standard for a class c internal network on 192.168.1.*, with a mask of 255.255.255.0. I'll leave it to you to change that to 10.20.30.*, with the appropriate mask.

>Which order do I start with .

Ok, let's start with DHCP. I'm going to assume you mean DHCPD (the DHCP daemon) that you want to control what addresses the machines on your internal network receive. Your dialout connection will provide you with an address for your ppp0 link when you connect, so that angle is already taken care of.