[SLE] how to make a DOS formated floppy?
  • From: neonatus@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Bostjan Muller)
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 13:16:44 +0200

Hi!

I am trying to format a floppy 3.5" HD to a DOS format readable on a win/DOS
machine. Whenever I create a floppy on a linux machine it is either unreadable
on windows or it has bad sectors :(

If I format a floppy on a DOS/win machine with the format command the floppy
works ok on both linux and win/DOS machine.

I have tried this to format the floppy:
sudo fdformat /dev/fd0h1440 && sudo /sbin/mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0

and everything cam out fine it verified as a good floppy with 0 bad sectors.

I also tried kfloppy and formated with density set on HD and file System set on
Dos, the setting was set to Full Format.

I am running SuSE 6.2 system.

Has anyone figured this one out yet?

I really don't want to boot to win just to format a floppy readable on a win
machine :(

THX in advance!

Bostjan