Re: [SLE] Re: An etiquette for this list - a call for discussion
  • From: abrahams@xxxxxxxxxxx (Paul W. Abrahams)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 21:15:16 -0500

Steve Sheriff wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> > Hi Phillipp et al,
> >
> > On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > The users of the German suse-linux have created an etiquette which is posted
> > > once a month on the list. You can have a look at a slightly outdated
> > > translated version at
> >
> > Personally I see no reason to have rules on this list. We are doing fine
> > without them. I know that Germans in general love the rule book. Heck, the
> > stamp club I belong to has it in the rule book that we all will say "du"
> > to each other.
> >

> Please let's leave the list as it is. Anyone who wishes to can join the
> German rule book if they so wish. Here in Spain, we do not have the discipline
> of Northern Europe. We just like to talk. *Please* do not inflict rules upon us.
> It is a relief to newcomers to find a list like this. Just try a previously
> posted question to most other lists to find yourself the idiot of the list in
> no uncertain terms. As a newcomer six months ago I could have got nowhere near where I am
> today without the freedom to talk to this list. We are trying to encourage
> newcomers I hope. Please let them have the same opportunity to post
> as I had.

I think there's some confusion here between rules and etiquette. It would be a good idea
that when someone subscribes to the list, they get a message describing recommended
practices -- but I don't think we should enforce them. An example of a recommended
practice: use descriptive subject lines, not titles such as ``Plea for help''. Such
practices benefit everyone on the list.

Paul Abrahams