[SLE] sblive is messin with my mind

ok, i am extremely confused on this.

occasionally my sblive platinum (emu10k1) won't play though my speakers which
are hooked up on the drive tray spdif out. the first time i was able to get the
sound card to work, it played through the speakers but then a week later it
stopped for a while and now its started up again. It isn't the feature that
mutes the speakers when headphones are pluged in since the headphone jack
doesn't work under linux (or hasn't) and putting headphones in doesn't mute it.

any ideas on what this might be doing