Re: [SLE] Re: An etiquette for this list - a call for discussion
  • From: toganm@xxxxxxxxx (Togan Muftuoglu)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 22:16:14 +0300

Steve Sheriff wrote:

> Please let's leave the list as it is. Anyone who wishes to can join the
> German rule book if they so wish. Here in Spain, we do not have the discipline
> of Northern Europe. We just like to talk. *Please* do not inflict rules upon us.
> It is a relief to newcomers to find a list like this. Just try a previously
> posted question to most other lists to find yourself the idiot of the list in
> no uncertain terms. As a newcomer six months ago I could have got nowhere near >where I am today without the freedom to talk to this list. We are trying to >encourage newcomers I hope. Please let them have the same opportunity to post
> as I had.

Well this topic is becoming interesting for me since a very similar
discussion is going on within the one of the local Turkish newsgroups.
The main idea is same before asking a question follow the the procedure
and than go and shoot for the question.

I would not personally call these rules or laws but guidelines in making
the search for the difficult problem easier. I am spending more time
reading the postings here in the Suse mail list rather thank reading the
ones in the local one. Why ; 90% of the questions are "I can not connect
to the internet linux cannot find my modem it was working with windows"
They do not even bother to check the documentation's for modem
compatibility.

I believe the main problem starts with the lack of the guidelines.
Consequently I think if there are problem solving guidelines for the
newcomers to the list I do not think they will perceive it as laws of
the SUSE mail list. Oh yes I also believe that they will skip the step
and go for the question. Yet my perception is if the experienced linux
user are acting like true mentors answering the questions with points
out the location of the information it will set it's own pace.

Now, I have started using linux 2 months ago. What I see as a problem
with linux system is classification of the information. There is man
pages suse support database are just to named the few. However for the
extremely newcomer who has no idea where and how to search for the
information in the event of a problem it really becomes frustrating.
Because I do not know if Linux does have the safe mode where you can use
the troubleshooting wizards of Microsoft Windows.

Like it or do not like it Microsoft windows has made computing easier
for many people. For that reason I believe they do not deserve to be
called M$ winders or what ever which does not sound appropriate ethic
behavior to me. Let's be fair nothing to be looses if mentioning the
name. That goes true for other distributions as well. Still we are using
Suse and quite happy with it as I understand.

--
Togan Muftuoglu
toganm@xxxxxxxxx