Re: [SLE] Corel cheated.
  • From: samelash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Samy Elashmawy)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 09:42:46 +0000

At 05:24 PM 3/31/2000 -0800, Dwight Johnson wrote:
>On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Samy Elashmawy wrote:
>
>> Mean spireted , whos being mean spirited. some may just be a bit vocal and
>> passionat about it , but I do think its a resonable and valis issue.
>
>Let's review this and see if there is a reasonable and valid issue:
>
> > nothing else.
>
>Here, Fred Miller declares:
>
>"I object to Corel's giving all this "lip service" to supporting Linux, and
>producing a LINUX VERSION of it's office suite, then having to read a
>review of the product to find out that it's NOT Linux code at all. I guess
>is an issue of honesty..."
>
>If Fred had bothered to learn something about Corel's office suite project
>when it was first announced over one year ago and if he had followed the
>information provided by Corel during its development, he would already know
>about how Corel was using WINE to develop it and would not be finding this
>out from a review of the product.
>
>But Fred does not bother to inform himself or learn what the truth is.
>Instead, he loudly accuses Corel of dishonesty.
>
>Instead of being accused by the grossly ignorant, Corel deserves to be
>praised for their courageous commitment to the Linux platform and their
>many contributions to the open-source movement.

I think fred is just being passionate . He may not be up to date on the
wine vs nativei linux (niether was I )
nor is it being shouted out at you by corel. They are touting it as a
"liunux" app. aka "corel word perfect office 200 for linux" It does not say
anything about wine (http://www.corel.com/news/2000/march/march_20_2000.htm)

It is a very eaasy assumption that it is a native mode app and not A
windows app run throght wine.

Given that meny users wont realy care , but some do. Now we know that this
is suposed to be a temp issue , and that the next port will be native
etc... Thats a more minor issue I think. I think the main issue it that
there is another "office suite" available for linux , and a heavy whieght
at that. I can live with wine for a while , and who knows , maybee the work
done on wine will amke more windows app aviualable to run under wine. That
would realy be interesting.