[opensuse-project] Re: Does the project have a publicly accessible project management tool?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 23:39:37 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 20 May 2012 01:27:44 +0200, Christian Boltz wrote:

Hello,

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 schrieb Jim Henderson:
Yes. The more I look at it, the more I think maybe the MediaWiki "Todo
Tasks" plugin provides sufficient functionality to do this, with the
added functionality of e-mailing the task owner. It doesn't track
status, but it tracks what needs to be done, and in that regard it's a
step in the right direction.

That would mean to add another tracking tool - we already have bugzilla,
FATE, retro (did I miss something?)

Let me ask a (maybe silly) question: Why don't you just use bugzilla for
task management? Not everything there has to be a bug, bugzilla can also
manage tasks ;-)

IMHO the point is to have _one_ TODO list where developers can see what
they can work on. Please don't add another place that needs to be
checked every day - at least if you don't have very good arguments ;-)

I don't know that bugzilla is an optimal solution for tracking project
tasks - but it might be. Thing is we'd need additional product/component
creation to do project management, but it's really geared towards
products rather than project management.

So the first step would be to identify who the stakeholders are so
we're sure we're assessing the needs from the proper audience.

If you ask around, please also ask "which tool or page do you use
daily?", not only "which additonal tool do you want?"

Absolutely. But one of the important points here is that project
management for something like this is somewhat different than bug/defect
tracking (or enhancement tracking), so a tool that's going to be
effective also needs to be one that's not designed for a different
purpose bent and twisted to accommodate the needs of doing project
management.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson