Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Does the project have a publicly accessible project management tool?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 12:02:03 +0200
On 2012-05-18 07:52:50 (+1000), Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But as this bugzilla project kicks off, I need /something/ that can help
keep track of things because there are going to be a few moving parts to
the success of the project, and if there's one thing I've learned about
project management over the years, it's that if you don't track what's
going on in the project, you'll fail before you even start.

Agreed.

And I don't want to set a project like this up to fail before it even
gets off the ground. :)

Perhaps on a more mundane level than project management, a simple
workspace for collaborative text would be very useful. We had been
talking about our own PiratePad/EtherPad instance - someone did have
one going, though there were some issues with access (I guess these
things have to be administered = more work). I have yet to find
anything more convenient than PiratePad for throwing together ideas
together and collaborating. Its downside is security, it's out there
in a very open cloud space.

I've noticed a few people using GoogleDocs also.

Collaborative editing is a very different topic actually, let's
take that as a separate thread/topic/task.

As an intermediate solution, would you be able to use a management
tool of your choice to maintain your own overview, importing/exporting
information/lists/calendars to Google Docs?

I believe that there would be real added value in using a
"project management tool", especially to
- track things that need to be done
- dependencies between tasks
- whom is taking care of what

We definitely don't need gantt charts and probably not even
estimations of effort (although it might come handy for a few
things if it is used by everyone on openSUSE, e.g. thinking of
OBS development).

* topics/categories/groups/projects
* status (todo, in progress, done, frozen, canceled)
* dependencies/links to other tasks
* description
* comments
* integration with opensuse.org accounts and SSO
* obviously web based
* maybe subtasks
* maybe effort estimation and time tracking

If we go down that route, and I believe we should, let's make it
properly for once and take our time to pick the right tool:
* let's gather requirements
* let's talk to a few people and teams to see whether they would
use it (if there is very low adoption and we just end up with
5 people using it, it's just a burden)
* let's make a list of candidates (tools) and see whether people
have experience with them and feedback to give (ChiliProject,
RedMine, Trac, Trello, Retro, ...)

Anyone interested in driving this?
I'm definitely interested in taking part as I have some
experience with such tools but I'm too swamped to drive it.

I must say that personally, I'm a big fan of the Features/"RFC"
kind of pages the Fedora folks are doing in their wiki for
specific tasks and topics (e.g. introducing systemd, moving
everything to /usr, etc...), e.g.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/systemd
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

IMHO we should set it up like that and make an RFC page on our
wiki to collect all findings, give context, list stakeholders,
and ultimately the decision. Document for posterity in a more
visible and clear manner, if you will, rather than having it
buried in lengthy email threads.

No need to slavishly follow the structure of Fedora's pages,
they have a slightly different purpose, but most of the document
structure could be mimicked (Summary, Owner, Current Status,
Detailed Description, Benefits, Roadmap, add "Potential Issues"
etc...).

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser