[opensuse-project] Re: Does the project have a publicly accessible project management tool?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 21:57:58 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 18 May 2012 07:52:50 +1000, Helen South wrote:

Perhaps on a more mundane level than project management, a simple
workspace for collaborative text would be very useful. We had been
talking about our own PiratePad/EtherPad instance - someone did have one
going, though there were some issues with access (I guess these things
have to be administered = more work). I have yet to find anything more
convenient than PiratePad for throwing together ideas together and
collaborating. Its downside is security, it's out there in a very open
cloud space.

Yes, I'm thinking that moving into something more project-orientated is
going to take more effort and slow the pace down at this stage. So I
would tend to agree that while we figure out a longer-term project
management strategy, something in the short term is probably the way to
go.

I've noticed a few people using GoogleDocs also.

As an intermediate solution, would you be able to use a management tool
of your choice to maintain your own overview, importing/exporting
information/lists/calendars to Google Docs?

I can do that. I can also see if there's an easy way to set things up so
the list can be exported (each Vibe page has its own unique URL, so if I
expose my setup over the 'net, maybe I can just feed it in using RSS or
something like that).

That way we don't stall because we're figuring out how to manage the
project. :) I'm happy to use Google Docs for something like this in the
interim, though as Pascal said, project management isn't necessarily the
same as file sharing. But it's a step towards keeping momentum going.

I'm off work tomorrow (contract has been suspended due to a delay at the
client), so I'm going to take some time tomorrow to gather the
information from the ongoing threads and start seeing if I can put
together a high-level WBS that we can start filling in with more specific
tasks.

Then we can find people to work on the tasks and keep the ball rolling. :)

Jim

--
Jim Henderson