  • From: Susanne Oberhauser <froh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 01:03:37 +0200
Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx> writes:

On Friday 31 of July 2009, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
To me a switch to KDE default looks like putting GNOME one row to the back.
Can we find a better solution than we currently have without giving out
this message? Or is this no great alternative?

There are really 2 ways to look at feature #306967:

1) Make KDE the default, and make it a political statement. That is what the
openFATE proposal looks like, that we should say "openSUSE is primarily a KDE
distribution".

2) Make KDE the default, and try to not make it look like a political
statement. This is what the proposal on this mailing list looks like, to
preselect the KDE radio button in the installation page, and that's it, don't
make a fuss of it.

Option 1) is tempting, as I think there would be a lot to gain, but even
option 2) is an improvement, purely for the user experience.

So, first of all, can we all make sure we are discussing the same thing?

I hate to say it but: to those familiar with the gnome-kde discussions,
a preselection of eitehr of them always will be recieved and understood
as a statement about the other one, too.

It's like setting emacs as the default editor (or vi): it's a statement
about the 'others'.

And I wonder wheter the luxury of having one click less is worth
tenderly and inadvertently yet unavoidably stepping on the toes of 1/3
of our users?

S.

--
Susanne Oberhauser +49-911-74053-574 SUSE -- a Novell Business
OPS Engineering Maxfeldstraße 5