  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:03:12 +0200
On Friday 31 of July 2009, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Lubos Lunak<l.lunak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 Option 1) is tempting, as I think there would be a lot to gain, but even
option 2) is an improvement, purely for the user experience.

 So, first of all, can we all make sure we are discussing the same thing?

If we were only discussing option 2, I wouldn't really be against it.

But I don't think for a second that if we go the route of having a
selected default that it won't be seen as a political statement. Maybe
not an "official project statement" but it will certainly be discussed
as such.

As Will said earlier "I am talking about a political statement" -- and
that's where the proposal loses me. This *isn't really about
simplifying user choice, it's about making a political statement and
the rest of the reasons seem tacked on to me as reasons to support
doing it.

Well, it just shows that this is not about limiting the choice, when two KDE
people here see it differently :). Will is clearly for 1), and while that
actually makes a lot of sense to me too, I like being careful and think 2) is
more feasible for now.

That page during installation is clearly wrong, strictly technically
speaking. Even users who don't know have to chose, and the preferred choice
is not at the top, so unaware users will choose something that is used by a
(relative) minority. That should be fixed, and I, being the engineer I am,
like going for simpler tasks first. It would also show the KDE community that
Novell does not push openSUSE for GNOME no matter what as is the perception,
and I consider that worth more than the GNOME community being disappointed by
the fact that they are not the default desktop when they are not it anyway.
Especially if this was done without the fuss, but I guess it may be too late
for that.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer