  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:52:58 +0200
On Friday 31 July 2009 15:27:15 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Friday 31 July 2009 15:23:17 Lubos Lunak wrote:
[...]
It could. I have already heard from people how SUSE used to be a
great
KDE distro and then Novell pushed GNOME and whatever and they went
elsewhere. And SUSE used to be an outstanding KDE distribution and I
think it still is, it's just that we ourselves (=SUSE) don't seem to
point that out recently.

But openSUSE is also a great GNOME distribution - how can we point out
properly that openSUSE has both?

I'm sure we now do a better job of promoting that than Canonical do for
Kubuntu and that would not change.

For me this feature is about 2 things -

First, the project taking the obvious step to recognise what the majority
of our users want and give them that. This would go a long way to
undoing the 'Novell is evil' smell that we can't shake off.

Secondly, giving openSUSE a very strong distinctive feature as a first-
rank distribution that says 'We offer KDE by default because it's what
our users want' compared to other first-rank distributions. Kubuntu and
Pardus aren't in that category and our current "The distro that offers
great KDE and GNOME desktops" position isn't perceived by many people
outside our close circle of contributors - they take Ubuntu because it's
highly successful, or Kubuntu because it's related to Ubuntu.

This should not weaken our support for GNOME, XFCE or anything else.
Look at Kubuntu, which has become a successful project in its own right
despite initial hostility and neglect from Canonical, or Fedora-kde,
which has a contributor community that is of the about the same size as
the openSUSE-kde community.

Will