Re: [opensuse-marketing] feedback on news
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 02:02:54 +0100
Jos,

I've shared that because that's my own concerns. In a way what I mean
is, Libre Office is going to have a very tough job ahead. oo.o has a
strong brand and has made some quite amazing work. While for people more
close to free software, this issue has a very own meaning, for all the
audience outside the free software, and open office was present, for
example, when I bought my ticket to the openSUSE Conference, the agent
was actually running open office 1.1!. I'm pretty that old lady wasn't
aware of our cultural movement.
My concerns on marketing are mainly around those people, because people
connected to free software, aren't exactly lacking the information the
others are.

I hold nothing against either sun or libre office. I did used Libre
Office for my presentation. For me it's quite transparent. But for
example from school I get loads of microsoft documents, even my own
teachers push them to me... I require good compatibility because I'm not
preaching the word to my teachers...
Those are problems to everyone outside. I didn't meant to be attack,
but for me as a marketeer (or future one), those kind of issues are
things that are interesting... of course I do like to follow them,
there's always something to learn.

For where it's published, I do not know. It's probably as hard for you
to understand some of my perspectives as it's hard for me to understand
those that are more friendly to you, because in way, we have different
prisms to look for.

nelson.