Re: [opensuse-marketing] The effects of marketing via Twitter
On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 11:27 +1100, Helen wrote:
Social networking can be automated to some extent. As you may know
there are plenty of tools such as Tweetdeck [1] or Twitterfeed [2] for
automating feeds. I also hear that Flock [3] is good (multi-format)
and Choqok [4] gets a big thumbs up in reviews too.

These tools need to be carefully handled though, as people don't like
posts that look like an automatic RSS sort of thing, they'll just
ignore them. They like real contact.

I've had mixed appreciation for some of these tools. Some months ago I
was working with a developer to create a new tool that would have
squarely aimed at the goals we're talking about here, but that got put
on hold while he went back to graduate school. Maybe I should start
looking for other developers to create the ULTIMATE retweeting tool.

However it's worth keeping in mind - who is reading your tweets? The
people who are following you. Why are they following you? Maybe
because they already use openSUSE? So it's probably not a great tool
for extending the reach of SUSE. What it =is= useful for is for
keeping the community together and in touch, for having personal
interaction with community members.

Very good point. My audiences for facebook vs. twitter, as an example,
are completely different and diverse. Most of the folks over on
Facebook thought I was speaking Greek (hi Stathis and Kostas!) because
they're not into or interested in FOSS. And we all have diverse lives,
not all of us are 100% in FOSS world. The ability to customize and
creatively word your messages that pique interest is what matters
most.

A retweet by definition is a copy of the original tweet. But folks, you
can break the mold here. You don't *have to* repeat it word for word.
Take the message and think about how your specific audience reacts.
What are the cool lingo of your peers. Use that and excite people.

To use Twitter as a broader marketing tool, we need people who have a
strong presence in a particular area - such as students, scientists,
business people - to mention openSUSE in their tweets. Things like new
applications, tutorials on using applications, or fun stuff - even
wallpaper! - that might be of interest to their broader community. So
rather than really tweeting about openSUSE insider stuff, it's a case
of tweeting things that are going to be interesting enough for a
general user to retweet. Otherwise we are "preaching to the choir".

That's where we can grow the Ambassador team to develop subject matter
experts that can communicate to specific demographics and markets in
their language, not ours. Understand them and communicate to them in
ways that meet their needs, not just "Hey we're great, check us out!"
which is what everyone inevitably does.

Obviously there needs to be different feeds for different languages.
However apart from that, the management of Twitter can be done by
relatively few people with a few well-coordinated accounts.

The different workflows mentioned by Carlos are a great idea. It would
make sense to me to have several accounts twittering along specific
themes, and encouraging people to follow and retweet any that will
connect with their own communities. For example:

Development
OBS / Gallery
Systems Administration
Desktops and Applications (+Fun for users)
News and Events

We do have several different feeds currently. Although, I'm mixed about
whether that's a good thing or not. It increases our need to monitor
more accounts that we may retweet from but at the same time, a single
account with an abundance of information may be overload.

Probably something we should look at more closely and see if we can come
up with some metrics to identify how well it has worked thus far. And
coordination of these accounts in a more organized fashion is definitely
a good idea, Helen.

So for example, I might follow all of those but I'll retweet
Applications stuff (eg "check out what you can do with GIMP on
openSUSE!" or "look at this great wallpaper" or "here's how to do ipod
on openSUSE!") for my creative friends. While someone who is a
programmer might retweet the Development stuff ("Here's a great fix
for that bug... check out Nelson's elegant code!") to catch the
attention of their programming colleagues.

One or two people could easily manage the accounts, if all the news is
feeding to a central location easy for them to find. Some can
obviously be feeds, but also community members could send them items
of interest. The openSUSE Weekly News seems like a good starting
point, though this would need to be augmented with little topics of
interest.

This would be an ideal task for people who want to do more online
assistance rather than in-person, and have some basic computer skills.
One of those 'junior jobs' although ongoing. And if they were
non-technical users doing this job, the people who are producing
technical news would need to pick out the key points that they want to
be tweeted.

I think a key thing to remember here is the "WIFM - What's In It For
Me?" maxim. It's not a case of 'this is what we are doing, take it or
leave it', but as much as possible to give the user something that
will catch their attention - something interesting, something they
want to use, something fun - that they will want to check out
themselves and retweet to friends.

Right on!

Apologies for the long post!

Wasn't a long post. It was a dead-on post! Good on you, Helen!

cheers,

Helen
[1]http://www.tweetdeck.com/
[2] http://twitterfeed.com/
[3]http://flock.com/faq/show/30
[4]http://choqok.gnufolks.org/

[5]http://backtweets.com/search?q=opensuse
Backtweets is a handy tool to see who's been mentioning your URL, name
or whatever (then you can follow them)

Does anyone of us know if is possible to schedule our tweets to be
retwitee in according with different time zones?

This would simply be a case of repeating tweets on a six-hour cycle,
that would cover most reasonably well.

Some bullets bellow:
* create a workflow for using twiteer, identica, ...
* different workflows for announcements, events, devel, end-users,
power-users, marketing...
* as we have ambassadors enough to cover most part of the world, they
can be very useful and helpful if they are direct involved with this
issue.