Re: [opensuse-marketing] A review on our Marketing Strategies
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:37:47 +0200
On Tuesday 12 October 2010 09:30:24 Helen wrote:
On the topic of promo DVDs: I notice that live CDs and the distros
that come with magazines are always i386, while I think a lot more
people are using 64 bit now. I assume whoever produces these things
must have data from users though and perhaps know otherwise?

Random marketing thoughts: next time I read "Xdistro is pleased/proud
to announce the release of xyz" I may scream. Will people not
recognize a release announcement if it's not worded that way? ......
openSUSE 11.4 Release Announcement: openSUSE 11.4 is now officially
rolling off the press! Grab your copy while it's hot! Okay so maybe
that's a trifle over the top :)

In terms of what we have to make a noise about: possibly we overlook
the small things - one of the key 'sales points' of openSUSE IMHO is
stability, so things like addressing issues, however unglamorous,
matters. People love to see their bugs fixed, too - to know that their
feedback matters.

I'm still new to this so probably haven't subscribed to the right
lists, but one issue with getting publicity out there is finding the
information - knowing what's being worked on by whom, and what's great
about it. I'll check for developer elists to lurk on. But often this
stuff needs to be translated into less technical language.

1. Right list
2. You have to help us write the next (11.4) release announcement, please!
3. you're rigth (applying to all of your mail, including the "cheers". Not the
Helen, that's a pretty individual thing I'd say.

cheers

Helen