RE: [opensuse-marketing] The openSUSE Handbook proposal
  • From: "Bryant, Christian" <CABryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:56:50 -0700
Just as a proof-of-concept for document writing community success, see
http://flossmanuals.net - easy to use, produces nice output, has a great
community of contributors. In terms of wiki-to-book, Wikipedia has had that
for some time, and there are some nice examples out there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Books I'm sure there is a way to build on
that model for openSUSE.

I have both the "good-writer-skill" and
"I-like-to-fiddle-with-tools-which-produce-great-outcome", as Klaas puts it.
But I also have to recognize which one of these others are as well, as a
project manager or in a community leader roll. It's the users that should
define what is pursued here, I believe. I think the wiki-to-book functionality
should definitely be added to the openSUSE wiki as an option, and if it matured
to a point where all the other features discussed in this thread could be
produced, then all the better. For now, I am still using Emacs to edit my
openSUSE documents - but the older I get, the simpler I like things to be :) I
wouldn't turn away from a nice wiki that would squirt out a publish-ready
document!

Cheers,

Christian Bryant

Couldn't we find people for these two groups instead:
- Editors: People who work on content and deliver in which format they ever
want (nearly ;-) to
- Book Builders: People who get the content from the Editors and work on
building a book with the best suited tool for that?
Maybe it makes more sense to devide the "good-writer-skill" from the "I-like-
to-fiddle-with-tools-which-produce-great-outcome" role?

regards,

Klaas

IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the
use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are
obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner.
Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject
you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient,
please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your
computer.