[opensuse-buildservice] Re: [opensuse-factory] Questions about osc
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 18:36:21 +0200
Am Dienstag, 8. September 2020, 17:47:10 CEST schrieb Larry Finger:
A few weeks ago, the virtualbox project was split into two parts - one to
build the main packages, and the other to build the kernel modules. I then
issued a linkpac command to link them. Shortly after this change was
published, it was suggested a multibuild approach would be better, and that
was done. All is working mostly OK; however, I have two questions:

A standard osc build command works fine, but the kernel modules are not
built. OBS does what is expected; however, I would like to save some load
on OBS by verifying that the modules will build correctly before uploading
changes. What osc build options should I use to build that part of the
project?

The second question is how to remove the now-dead link to a kmp sub-project?
That will save roughly 50% of the OBS build time.

Can't halp you with your questions, sorry, but this reminds me of something,
that I wanted to ask: for what reason does the kmp package rebuild the initrd?

Usually, the initrd contains only those modules, that are essential for
initial boot setup, eg. everything, that is needed to mount and switch over to
the real root. The virtualbox host kmp doesn't do anything in this respect,
does it?

Omitting the initrd rebuilds would speed up VB updates considerably..

Thanks,
Pete