Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Best option to integrate StartlingX CI with OBS (the need)
Hey,

On 16.09.19 10:43, Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) wrote:
On 13/09/2019 15:24, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Lots of people do lots of different things. Maybe you should explain
to us what you are trying to achieve? What is it you want to do?

What we want to do if fairly simple on the paper.

Today, each that a Commit is push to StartlinX Gerrit, we do an
automatic local compilation which add a -1 or +1 automatically to the
review.

Tomorrow we would would like to follow that check, positive, by a real
build via the OBS and automate a -1/+1 vote depending of the result.

Okay so the package build on OBS is one of the checks inside your CI cycle right?

There are people that do this with a local build (osc build) on their CI host and report back the status of that. There are also people who do the package build on OBS instead (create a test project/package with the new commit) and report back the status of the package build on OBS.

Most of the time submissions affect only one sub project (a package for
OBS). it does also happens that a grouped submission is created affected
multiple project at the same time. We could delay the support of that
type of build in a first phase if too complex to implement.

With a local build this is a bit more complicated as you have to make sure how the two changes/packages influence each other. If you do your test build on the OBS it's a matter of creating both and then report back the state of the project, not the package.

1) Why 2 builds

Staging is just a way people handle their projects in OBS. Has little to do with the CI. It's just about accumulating changes before you push them out the your users.

2) Managing builds

You can listen to events on our event bus instead of querying the API repeatedly. https://rabbit.opensuse.org/

3) Cancelling build
Sure restarting the build with the new changes sounds like the way to go.

HTH

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang