Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Build C++ Files for different distributions

On November 25, 2014 5:13:56 AM EST, Tobias Lauterbach <tol@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Stefan, hi Greg,

thank you very much for your reply.

With your help I managed to compile a hello World example with success
on a few distributions.
But I have two problems:

1. The built packages are empty. I guess I have to somehow add an
instruction how to build the package(define which binaries should be
installed with the package)?
My workspace:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:tol_qosmotec/helloWorld/helloWorld.spec?expand=1

https://build.opensuse.org/source/home:tol_qosmotec/helloWorld/helloWorld-1.tar.gz

2. Only CentOS Builds are started at the moment. The Debian and Ubuntu
builds are marked as "excluded". I haven´t figured out why yet. Do you
have any idea?

One last thing for my understanding:
Do I have to create an archive of my sources every time? Cause on our
build server we have a source folder. I think it seems a bit
unnecessary to do that every time when it needs to be unpacked shortly
after that in the build distribution.

Kind regards,
Tobias

It looks like you are making progress.

A couple high level comments:

- your first post was OBS specific and this mailing list is one of the few
resources that exist to answer it. Now your questions are generic packaging
questions, so you have the entire universe of packaging resources available to
you. In particular, every RPM based distro uses specfiles to build the RPMs.

That means, if someone is packaging your code for fedora, then they have an
existing specfile, so you can go grab a copy of that one and use it on OBS to
build fedora RPMs here.

- you will soon learn that a specfile for fedora rarely works perfectly for
opensuse, or any other distro. Assuming the changes are minimal then "%if
distro" logic can allow you to customize the specfile for different distros.

- OBS predefines various macros, some of which might be OBS specific, I'm not
sure. I only package via OBS.

- debian style distros don't use specfiles. OBS is not a standalone packaging
solution, it uses each distros native packaging tools so you have to learn how
to package for every distro you support. In general that is RPMs and DEBs, but
there may be others on OBS I don't know about.

- this mailing list is for overall OBS discussion. Once you start asking about
what goes into a specfile, etc you have made the transition to packaging and
the opensuse-packaging list is the place that focuses on those issues. Not
that you will get kicked out of here, but you will have a different set of
subscribers there and I suspect your questions will be exposed to a broader
range of packagers there.

Hope that helps,
Greg