Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: How do I go about packaging Bitwig Studio?
On Tue, 2014-11-11 at 08:12 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
On Mon 10 Nov 2014 10:08:11 PM CST, Roger Luedecke wrote:

On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 21:47 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
On Mon 10 Nov 2014 06:21:19 PM CST, Roger Luedecke wrote:

On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 15:44 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
On Mon 10 Nov 2014 12:40:01 PM CST, Roger Luedecke wrote:

I've never really tried packaging anything before, but I'd really
like to make Bitwig Studio available. I've successfully converted
Bitwig Studio from .deb using alien. I also found a Fedora guy
who has been building RPM for it, and I'll attach his spec file.
If I understand his .spec, it'd require the inclusion of
the .deb which if I remember we aren't allowed to put
proprietary software in OBS. This is a very impressive piece of
software, so I'd like some guidance.
Hi
That's a commercial package? as in not free....

Yes, I understood that. However we have packages for many other
non-free softwares. It seems that they had used some sort of
downloader script to pull what is needed.

Hi
Non free as in can be distributed without fee, warranty etc but only
pre-compiled (as in a blob etc).

That is a product that is sold as a commercial product, there is no
free download link except for a trial version. I don't see any links
relating to distribution.

What your indicating is that I can download, say the fluendo codec
bundle for example and re-distribute that? Don't think so ;)

No, not at all. The version you download without cost is the same as
the retail and requires a license key to unlock as the full version.
Not remotely the same.

Hi
Ahh, OK your talking about the Trial version? If so, I would imagine
you need to contact them to ask if it can be
re-distributed/re-packaged, then I would guess as for it to be in a
non-oss development project citing the approval from them...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default

The trial version is unlocked with a key. But yes. I've sent them an
email for permission. So, assuming permission is granted it can then be
added to OBS? If not, I'll just add it to packman but I'd like it to be
a little more mainline.