[opensuse-buildservice] Build C++ Files for different distributions

I´m quite new to building packages on Linux, so I have some very basic,
probably stupid questions, but after hours of luckless research this is the
last way I see to understand this.

I have the task to find out how to avoid the need of 3 build servers for
supplying three different distributions.

All I read is the open build service would be able  to build binary packages
from sources for a wide range of operating systems and hardware architectures.
But I don't understand what those sources are.

Would I be able to compile binaries for different distributions from C++ code
with this? And then based on those binaries build the packages?

If yes, how can I do it?
If not, what is the benefit from just building packages if I need to build the
binaries on different distributions?

Thank you very much,