Re: [opensuse-buildservice] building xz requires xz
On Oct 16, 13 11:59:01 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2013, 10:57:03 schrieb Ruediger Meier:
On Tuesday 15 October 2013, Brian K. White wrote:
Come on, building xz requires xz ?

I maintain a project for many targets where xz and tar is only built if
it's needed to let it work with xz compressed sources. You could
aggregate the packages from there
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:rudi_m:bldchn

xz itself cannot sanely buildrequires xz!

The self-dependency is quite obvious:
xz upstream choose to compress their tar ball with xz itself.
Not sure how user friendly that is. (Good for testing, maybe.)
OBS cannot unpack this, unless xz is installed.

Yes, bootstraping is needed for many packages, but it is good when
it can be avoided.

Their idea is not to require installation of exactly 'itself', but to
require any older (hopefully existing) version.

I'd suggest, to recompress the xz-tarball in gz format, just like we
do with the bzip2 tarball.
That should help with most bootstrap issues.
It might not help with a full source bootstrap, as the gzip2-tarball is
then again xz compressed, thus entering a cyclic dependency.

cheers,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 say #263A!__/ (____/ /\
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, J.Guild, F.Imendoerffer, HRB 16746
(AG Nuernberg), Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany

SuSE. Supporting Linux since 1992. ☺