Fwd: [opensuse-buildservice] I suspect that my chromium package build is going wrong
  • From: James Bond <evanton@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 20:04:52 +0300
From: James Bond <evanton@xxxxxx>
Date: 2013/10/1
Subject: Re: [opensuse-buildservice] I suspect that my chromium
package build is going wrong
To: Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke@xxxxxxxxx>

Currently network:chromium builds indeed the chromium package for openSUSE
distro's, but it doesn't any SUSE specific patches, etc to the source tarball.

I see chromium 31 there, chromium in debian repository is an older
version. chromedriver is tricky since it has requirements about the
version of chromium. A version (or a few versions) mismatch between
chromedriver and chromium can lead to chromedriver not working at all
with that version of chromium. I know this for a fact since I've
bumped into this problem while trying to get them to work in another
linux distribution. That's why I have thought it is a good idea to
attempt building chromedriver from the same version of source code
that was used to build the chromium package for the debian repository.

If I understood you correctly, then the only thing you want is to build the
chromedriver?

Correct. As stated above, there's no chromedriver package in the
debian repository (and I don't know why, it would be so much easier if
chromedriver would be just one apt-get install command away!).

If that is correct, then why do you build the full chromium build?

I have looked for hints here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/chromium-chromedriver . This is the
chromedriver package for ubuntu, yet chrome is specified as build
target in rules file. I am just trying to guide myself using reasons
that look like common sense to me, I have zero prior experience
building debian packages. To me, just adding chromedriver as
additional target looked like the minimum change I have to make
manually to the build scripts.