Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Feature request
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:11:07 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2011, 07:55:31 schrieb Vincent Petry:
Agreed.

Please file a feature request / openFATE request so we can vote ? :-)

Vincent

On 07/12/2011 00:02, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 12/06/2011 05:39 PM, Lars Müller wrote:
On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 05:09:41PM -0500, Robert Schweikert wrote:
We should automatically enable the new release branch as a build
target for all projects that build against factory when we branch.

No, I do not want to do this. The reason is that there are quite some projects
that are not active maintained anymore. It does not make sense to increase
the build load by adding new build targets but now one cares about the
content.

In the current way these projects do fade out and free the resources to others

bye
adrian

How about doing so if openSUSE (oS) Factory and the new version
-1 are
enabled?

If I had 11.4 oS 11.4 and Factory enabled an automatism to enable oS
12.1 builds as soon as it is available as target makes sense to me.

If I have oS Factory enabled for builds but nothing else we
should keep
Factory alone.

Yes, this makes sense and is a better heuristic.

Yes, one makes the assumption that a given project wants to
support/build against the next release, but I think this may be
more
applicable than the assumption we make now, which is that people do
not want to build against the new release.

This avoids the hassle of maintainers having to go in and turning
this on explicitly. My guess would be that there are fewer
maintainers that do not want this behavior than there are
maintainers that want this behavior.

I guess so too.

The other alternative would be to add yet another setting to the
meta data of a project that says
"build-new-target-on-release-branching" then maintainers can choose
this depending on their preference. I don't think we need such a
flag, but it gives control to project maintainers.

You're right, we should try to keep it simple.

Lars
SUSE Linux Products GmbH