[opensuse-buildservice] Some suggestions
  • From: "Vaibhav Kaushal" <vaibhavkaushal123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:58:15 +0530
Hi list,

I know that this might be like I am overlooking things but yes, I do
respect the hard work the community has done to make such a great
distro. But as always it has some imperfections which I think can be
improved upon. I have my suggestions here which I think could be
worked upon on, in the next version i.e. version 11.0 . I have not
tested the alpha versions due to bandwidth constraints but I would
still like to tell these:

1. The YaST must refresh the repositories only if new additions have
been done to the repository. So you may maintain a LAST UPDATE DATE /
TIME for each repository. That will seriously help us people with
lower bandwidth.

2. I am a student and I see that most of my friends do not run the
Linux system just because they think that it is too geeky to run that
or that it is really difficult. I know the friendliness of the system
is more than Windows, just that the rules are diff. But, I just wanted
if there could be a new 'STUDENT EDITION" of the distro in its new
avtars. The reason is: they want to use linux for the college classes
and such stuff. So, instead of pushing in much applications, why don't
you create a new edition of the Distro with the shell tools available
ion that. Such as gcc, make, dos2unix etc are missing in the CD
versions. So you can just put in more and more shell tools and reduce
on some of the messengers, browsers and photo management things.
Anyway those tools are not used much by the students new to Linux. So
that could be packed into one edition called as *student edition*.

3. I am a programmer but am not good enough to contribute in a project
as such and have no time to learn how to do that. However I would like
to help the community. I am soon to have a website of my own. I wanted
to ask if I can host some of the images of the distro which I like and
think are good for the download. I wont be able to mirror the whole
distro due to space and bandwidth bottlenecks. However I can have 2 CD
images and 2 DVD images (I would like to choose which one I would like
to keep on the server) and I would allow downloads from my website
without being listed on the mirror page (that will help me keep my
bandwidth usage in reason and limits of the hosting providers). Is
that possible?

4. A lot of software in the main DVD is not really useful to many
people. for example, not everybody is interested in learning how to be
a CELL developer or such thing. Instead of that you could provide more
usefull and demanded software like compiz-fusion and google earth?
Those which are less used, can always be there in the online repos.

5. I know it is not really easy to do it. but can yast be like
apt-get? Or at least you can improve upon 'smart' and add it in the
default DVDs.

I hope you would like to discuss about the proposals given.

Thanks a lot.
-------
Vaibhav Kaushal