Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Apt-get doesn't follow HTTP redirects
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:46:28 +0100
Hi Gianluca,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 04:13:24PM +0100, G. Massera wrote:
Dirk Stoecker ha scritto:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, G. Massera wrote:

If I inspect manually the HTTP 302 response, and I put directly the
hostname that mirror my repositories in this way:

deb ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/home:/EmmeG/
xUbuntu_7.10/

all goes fine and I can use my repositories without problems. But
because the 302 is a temporary redirection, I cannot tell to my users to
use the host above!

What is the best solution to this problems ???

Point the users to http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Development_Build
and report your problem to apt-developers again. Maybe the now change
their mind :-)

Ciao
Not all Mirrors mirrors also the repositories directory... so, is not so
useful to direct users to Mirrors_Development_Build :-(

What's the exact name of the user agent which apt sends?
We could possibly grant an exception in the download redirectory, so it
doesn't send redirects for those clients.
That makes sense if we are not talking about a huge amounts of requests
each day.

But anyway... can I mirror my repositories via rsync ??

yes, you can access rsync.opensuse.org and mirror repositories without
problems. See http://en.opensuse.org/Mirror_Infrastructure for available
rsync modules.

Also, you could solve the issue by pointing your user's apt clients to
http://widehat.opensuse.org/repositories/. For the time being it is a
complete (and mostly fresh) mirror of download.opensuse.org, and I don't
think it is a problem if all those apt clients access it directly.
It's not guaranteed to exist forever, and it might not set the caching
headers as thoughtfully as download.opensuse.org, because it is only a
stupid mirror, but for you it would be a viable option I think.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development