Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Help needed for Packaging
  • From: James Oakley <jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:15:05 -0300
On Tuesday 19 September 2006 8:07 pm, Pascal Bleser wrote:

> The only thing I don't appreciate is that a lot of packages the packman
> team or I maintain (often since quite some time) show up in the BS,
> maintained by other people, without even getting a notice.
> Thank you, how nice.
>
> That's not how we community packagers do it. We talk to each other, try
> to avoid duplicate work,

You didn't contact me when you decided to release perl-XML-Twig,
perl-XML-XPath, and python-lxml packages, which I've been distributing since
SUSE 8.1, 9.1, and 10.0, respectively.

I was also not contacted when Packman released xmltv and mmpython packages,
which I've been distributing, with proper names, since SUSE 8.0 and 8.2,
respectively.

Thank you, how nice.

> mostly try to consolidate our work in the
> packman infrastructure in order to provide the best possible experience
> for SUSE users out there. Especially as the BS likes to generate high
> release numbers, _which voids our work_ (and I would really like to
> insist on this point).

That brings me to another point, you guys have been releasing newer versions
of packages that SUSE distribute, for no good reason, without the testing
that the SUSE packages get. I remember the time back in the apt days that a
simple 'apt upgrade' caused me to get a newer version of alsa than the SUSE
kernel had. All of a sudden, I couldn't compile programs against ALSA because
the kernel/userspace headers didn't match. At that point I had to add rules
to apt's not-for-the-mere-mortal config files to keep it from unnecessarily
upgrading packages.

I *never* put packages that SUSE already has in my repos. I can't afford the
time to do the testing necessary to make sure I'm not breaking somebody's
setup. I'll leave the version-itis to the Gentoo folks, thank you.

--
James Oakley
jfunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx