Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposal for project in root namespace: GNOME:*
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:13:59 +0200

>>> Reply on 18-09-2006 17:12:38 <<<> Am Monday 18 September 2006 15:39 schrieb Stanislav Brabec:
> > Adrian Schröter wrote:
> > > Hm, that would mean when there is a stable Gnome 2.18 all people
> needs to
> > > change their repository URLs ?
> >
> > Yes. Exactly this was my intention.
> >
> > After GNOME 2.x 2.x+2 update, desktop often needs small
> reconfiguration
> > and some things may even disappear.
> >
> > Imagine that you are using 2.x and you will get 2.x+2 overnight. Your
> > desktop is now different, needs some work to adjust it, and may be
> even
> > less stable. And what is worse, there is no way to undo this change.
>
> That would be always a bug IMHO. How does a user do an update from
> openSUSE
> x.y to x.y+1 (or SLE) otherwise ?
>
> > That's a reason, why I would like to see stable versions in form
> > GNOME2xx. When GNOME 2.x+2 appears, we can let 2.x repository
> silently
> > die in few weeks or months (i. e. stop updating and building).
>
> or rest forever, because some stupid app does not get ported :/

Adrian,

on this topic I already posted once on factory, but did not get an answer.
Maybe here coule be a better place?

See:
Hi,

Maybe I'm on the wrong place for this, but it might be interesting even
here:

Let's assume the following (I think a not so uncommon scenario):
- A user installs a openSuSE Version 10.1
- He changes the installation repositories to something like
ftp://mirror.suse.de/pub/SL-Stable/inst-source
and adds also
ftp://mirror.suse.de/pub/SL-Stable/non-oss-inst-source

Now come's one of the trickier parts:
The upudate repo is pointing to:
ftp://mirror.suse.de/update/10.1

What will happen when openSUSE 10.2 get's the 'stable' Distribution an
dwill thus be linked in place of 10.1?

ZMD will most probably install many packages from 10.2 (maybe even
wished by the user) but the link to the update repo will still point to
10.1.
The same problem is with MOST external repos, as most of them also
contain the version number in the path.

Could there something be implemented to have it point to a URL like:
ftp://mirror.suse.de/update /%OSS-VERSION%, thus updating the links upon
a relink of the stable tree?

Regards,
Dominique

TMF is a global management and accounting outsourcing firm with 65 offices in 51 countries and over 1,600 professionals (July 2006). TMF is expanding rapidly throughout the world. Learn more about our unique
network and our services and visit our website at www.tmf-group.com.

The information contained in this e-mail communication is confidential and solely intended for the person to whom it is addressed. If someone other than the intended recipient should receive or come into possession of this e-mail communication, he/she will not be entitled to read, disseminate, disclose or duplicate it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are requested to notify the sender and to destroy the original e-mail communication.
TMF is neither liable for the correct and complete transmission of the information contained in this e-mail communication nor for any delay in its receipt. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.
< Previous Next >