Re: [opensuse-ambassadors] Re: [opensuse-marketing] conference to go to
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:08:15 -0500
On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 17:26 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Wednesday 22 September 2010 16:20:56 Michael Loeffler wrote:
Moin,
On Wednesday 22 September 2010 13:52:21 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Hi all,

In december, FOSS.in will happen. In Januari there is LinuxCon Australia.
can most likely go to only one of these two events.
India: >1 billion inhabitants
Australia > 21 million inhabitants

Maybe that gives a hint. This combined with the number of ambassadors we
have
on the ambassador list [1] for both countries is for me a clear sign to go
India. Additional what I heard about FOSS.in the last years was very
positive
- though I never visited it myself.

On the other hand, Australia gets visitors from New Sealand, which is very
much an upcoming open source developer country. India, on the other hand, has
a very hard time motivating students to work on FOSS in their free time and
most of the 'ambassadors' seem inactive.

Moreover, FOSS.in won't be what it used to be this year due to organisational
problems (will be mostly a hackfest, few talks) while linuxcon Au has quite a
few high-profile speakers and thus counts more like a 'quality event'.

Just giving some balance ;-)

Anyone has more arguments?

Best

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Ambassadors_list

So tell me, what do you think, where would you go, a visit to what
conference would have the most impact and help openSUSE the most? This
ain't only about me giving a talk or not - it is also about what local
openSUSE ambassadors are there, what they organize etcetera. So do you
have any plans for either of these conferences? Or is there another
conference in December or Januari that you think I should be going to?

Cheers,
Jos

All I can do is add more ambiguity here :-)

In the case of India, I consider India to be very fertile ground for
developing stronger relationships with potential contributors in India.
Myself, I'm exploring a visit there for A11y in March. (Unsure at the
moment.)

I don't recall an official visit by openSUSE/Novell to India in recent
times. A visit to Foss.in during what could be considered their darkest
hours would surely give a strong psychological boost to the community
there that we believe in them and want to include them. My personal
feeling is that India, by virtue of its timezone, often gets
marginalized in the online community and we need to recognize and find
ways to build up there. So, the potential rewards are great.

On the other hand, in AU, I don't think the rewards would be as great,
but the negative impact could be great. It's a well-established event
with many people from diverse FOSS backgrounds. Our presence wouldn't
be extremely noticed. But our lack of presence would be VERY noticed.

The other day, a friend informed me she was hearing at Oracle Open World
in San Francisco on the floor a lot of talk that "SUSE is now obsolete
and not relevant anymore." We both know this isn't true, but that's an
impression we must work to eliminate. Not being present at a major and
well-attended event in AU would only further boost that myth. And we
don't want to do that.

Ultimately, traveling to these wonderful and far-away places should not
be just to talk but to make an effort to gather up the existing openSUSE
community in those areas and give them a good boost as well. It
motivates our openSUSE community to know that someone came to their
region because we care. And in my opinion, that's the best return on
investment.

My only feeling at this time.is that if its a question of timing for
you, Jos, consider the possibility that we could send some other
official representative of openSUSE to the event you're not going to.

End of thoughts,
Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Marketing Team lead