Re: [opensuse-ambassadors] Re: [opensuse-marketing] Women in Free and Open Source
  • From: RICARDO CHUNG <ricardo.a.chung@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:48:45 -0500
Hey,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Koushik Kumar Nundy <kknundy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Moves to include women, or any other perceived minority, into the
mainstream is always dicey, with affirmative action more often than
not being considered as reverse discrimination. This program by GNOME
[1][2], for example preferentially offers women paid internships,
because they are women.

And openSUSE-Women was created to make openSUSE more inclusive and
gender-neutral already, wasn't it? Is there really scope for another
body/sub-organisation for the same apparent purpose?

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram2010
[2]http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram2010/SpreadTheWord

P.S. I feel there is too much of cross posting between the marketing
and ambassador lists. Could there not be a clear demarcation of the
lists' scope? just asking.

--
Koushik Kumar Nundy

http://kknundy.blogspot.com
http://thinkbiosoln.com
http://en.opensuse.org
with Helen to make women not a minority group but keep them full
integrated.I understand some cultural issues can prevent some women to
participate at the same places men do that's because women group come
to be useful. Said so let's keep both channels quite open to make them
choose what is more comfortable for women or let's them feel less
intimidated.
As I think women have an enormous computational potential I use to
promote openSUSE among women in my country.

--
Ricardo A. Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador

http://twitter.com/amon0thoth1
http://amon0thoth1.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/openSUSE-Panama-Users-Group/326325121542