[opensuse-ambassadors] meetings, conferences and more - INPUT NEEDED!
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:02:09 +0200
My dear friends,

The rest of this year and next year some cool conferences are coming our way.
As your humble community dude I have to plan my travel and I have to plan where
to put my sponsorship money. Now who am I to decide that when you are the
people who KNOW these conferences?

So I have talked with many peeps to assemble a list of conferences with some
properties to help decide where to go and where to put in $$$:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap5dbL7kyNzAdDF0azhaZTJ0eVVzc2EyU1RoWEIxWnc&hl=en&authkey=CJnr1vQH

On a few conferences, I have specific questions.

First, FSOSS. Has anyone of you ever gone there, will anyone go? Can you tell
me the size of this conference, how important it is?
Then the OpenWorldForum - very much the same questions...
LinuxCon Japan - who is going there next year? Will there be openSUSE peeps
staffing a booth? Anyone up for that?
COSCUP (Taiwan) - same questions: who is going, is it interesting, can I help?
FOSSASIA (Vietnam) - same questions: who is going, is it interesting, can I
help?
Linux Conference Australia - anyone going, I want to go and support it! But
only if there is a openSUSE team there - otherwise, I can't do it alone...
SCALE next year? Anyone up for that?
FOSS.IN - same questions :D
CeBit - yes, who feels he/she could help out there? I'm interested in trying to
get a booth there as I like the conference, but that ain't easy and I need help
from you to have a good team and a good story for the organisation to allow us
a booth...

One more thing. If you want to go to a local conference, but money is an issue,
let me know. It is not easy to reimburse people for travel and hotel, but I
want to try it anyway. So again, especially when it comes to the conferences
above - if you want to go but just can't afford it, let me know, maybe I can
help!

Take this chance, people, to make a difference and have some fun doing it! You
are the local experts, I need your help in deciding where to go and what is
important. Speak up!

Greetings and hugs,
Jos Poortvliet