RE: [zypp-devel] Why this rpm can't be installed by zypper by can be installed by "rpm -i"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Schroeder [mailto:mls@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 7:40 PM
To: Chen, Zhang Z
Cc: zypp-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [zypp-devel] Why this rpm can't be installed by zypper by can be
installed by "rpm -i"?

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 09:19:06AM +0800, Chen, Zhang Z wrote:
I wrote a Perl script that can compose simple rpm file byte by byte. The rpm
generated by the script can be installed by "rpm -i" but can't be installed by
zypper. Following is the error message:

# zypper install mtf-0.0.1-1.i586.rpm
Reading installed packages...
'mtf = 0:0.0.1-1' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of 'mtf = 0:0.0.1-1' found.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

My guess is that the package has a non-zero epoch and zypper
can't deal with it. Check the last line of:
rpm -qp --provides mtf-0.0.1-1.i586.rpm

If the package has an epoch, please open a bug report against zypper.

Found the root cause: zypper expects a sourcerpm tag in binary packages.