Re: [zypp-devel] yum vs zypp performance
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett" <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:05:37 +0200
On Thursday 10 September 2009 10:51:54 Zhu, Peter J wrote:
Hi,

I did a yum vs zypp performance evaluation against a yum repository. Just
like what http://duncan.mac-vicar.com/blog/archives/309 suggested, zypper
is better than yum if I just stop after yum/zypper ask user if do a really
installation/update.

yum install make 6.935s zypper in make: 1.247s
yum upgrade 17.486s zypper update: 1.795s

But if I did a real installation/update with 57 packages in one time,
zypper performance is worse than yum. Yum just needs 5m38s but zypper needs
6m40s. I can see some difference is that yum would try download all the
packages at first and then install them in local system while zypper would
do an iteration of retrieve/install one by one that should be the root
cause.

ZYpp head (what will be present in 11.2 and SLE SP1) has a policy for this, so
it can be switched to download first.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Engineering Manager, YaST