Re: [zypp-devel] JFYI: libzypp-6.11.0 supports download policy for commit.
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 20:09:52 +0200
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24:53AM +0200, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
On Utorok 28 Júl 2009 10:38:50 Jano Kupec wrote:
Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 04:28:37PM +0200, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2009/7/27 Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 03:37:16PM +0200, Jano Kupec wrote:
I also think the DownloadInAdvance (or even better DownloadInHeaps)
should be our new default. At least once yast and zypper is ready for
this.

No, please stay backward compatible.

How that would break compatibility?

You need room on your disk to store all of the rpms.

So what? When you're out of space, you'll change the default. You're
usually not out of space. And with DownloadInHeaps, the space should not
be a problem anyway. I really don't see why we should not default to the
safer mode.

I fully agree with Jano.

Some notes:
- Most of the users have no idea how to change the default.

Yes. That's a good reason why we should change the default to the saner
alternative for them.

Whoever needs a special space-efficient update (a minority afaics) will
need to be able to figure out how to enable that other mode.

- Trying to compute how much space you need to keep free for package install
to succeed is non-trivial

However, maybe zypp could simply fall back to the install&download one
by one method, if space is scarce?

- you might end up with a device that's unable to update itself, or only with
very high involvement from expert user

That's a good argument, however a trivial workaround is to first install
*some* updates, later others. I think that this is that 99% of users
will do intuitively, or not?

Peter
--
Contact: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx (a.k.a. ftpadmin@xxxxxxxx)