Re: [zypp-devel] Binary multiplication prefixes and zypp ByteCount
  • From: Eric Springer <erikina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:57:51 +1000
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Dominique Leuenberger
<Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would be highly confused if anything on my system starts to use KiB and
GiB...

For most people, if they don't understand it -- they just relate it to
the base-10 unit. And that's a very accurate assumption as half the
time when the base-10 unit is used it means the base-2 anyway. ;D

I know hardware vendors always did it... not out of lack of
knowledge, but the figures just sound better...

I take it you don't work in marketing, as most of them would think
200GB sounds better than 185GB.
;D

The move is purely motivated by people trying to get rid of confusion
and ambiguity.

Have you ever bought a harddrive or USB stick and found your system
recognizes it smaller than what you paid for? That's because it was
sold to you as GB and your system is displaying it in GiB (Although
inappropriately labeled: GB in some poor programs).

IF this ever get's enabled, please only with very sane and simple way to
switch to 'normal' display.

The 'standardization' went the wrong way in my opinion.

That, or your understanding of it =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(data)

Dominique