Re: [zypp-devel] OSI: openSUSE Installer Presentation
  • From: josef reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:45:51 +0100
From: Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
That would basically require building against an LSB base project. I think
that's the only way this CAN be achieved.

Why?

Don't loose the context Duncan. The message I replied to was talking about
distribution indipendent. You'll not achieve this without creating a LSB
compliant build.

You simply can't guarantee any library being existant on any random system
(which is what distribution indipendent means).

Dominique

Only working distribution independent build is source distribution with
script to build. Because you cannot ensure many ways, for example kernel
version...and on kernel depend low-level libs and on it mid level and
then highlevel libs and application. This you cannot solve, noone can
solve it (even on windows you have problem create program which work on
each version). So only way is provide sources and try build it (also it
can have problem with kernel). So for me is better choose distribution
and version and download offline build for my distribution (which ensure
some basics like minimal kernel(glibc, rpm) version).
JR