Re: [zypp-devel] Re: keep kernels
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:02:25 +0200
On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 10:09:32AM +0200, Stefan Schubert wrote:
This flag does work for installation only. mls has added the delete
feature to the SAT solver
last week too. I will update libzypp today.

Unfortunately, build of zypp:svn fails for openSUSE_11.0 because zypper
has a requires on satsolver-tools = 0.10.4, but there is
satsolver-0.10.6.tar.bz2 being built so there is an expansion error in
the build service.

Short of this possibility I tried to work around by updating the package
that zypper wants to update myself (--noscripts to keep my boot setup
untouched). Shouldn't this be a possible workaround? My expectation
being that zypper finds the kernels up to date and doesn't want to
install kernels.

However, I get the following, zypper now wants to *reinstall* the
kernel. Why's that?

# zypper up -t package
Reading installed packages...

The following package is going to be upgraded:
apache2-mod_zrkadlo

The following package is going to be reinstalled:
kernel-default

The following packages are going to be REMOVED:
kernel-pae kernel-default kernel-default kernel-default kernel-default
kernel-default

Overall download size: 21.8 M. After the operation, 330.6 M will be freed.
Continue? [YES/no]: n

[ By the way, it would be very helpful if zypper would show package
versions and the source where it comes from (repository). The output
that it gives makes it very difficult to follow what it's trying to do.
Is there a feature request for this? zypper has that information, I can
find it in the zypper.log.

What I don't find in the screen output and neither in the logs is
information about requirements that pull packages in, or cause obsoletes
or conflicts. That kind of information would be helpful too, for the
die-hard admin. It would allow me to resolve problems. ]

Thank you for your continued help!
Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development