[zypp-devel] zypper can't remove NEVR packages
  • From: "Lorenzo Villani" <lvillani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 13:32:22 +0200
I built the whole ZYpp stack on Fedora (9) but zypper is not able to
remove packages with an Epoch number.

Example:
[lorenzo@normandy ~]$ sudo zypper rm devhelp anjuta gtksourceview2
guile libgdl gnome-build autogen-libopts graphviz glade3-libgladeui
libgnomecups perl-gettext libgnomeprintui22 libgnomeprint22 autogen
Reading installed packages...

The following packages are going to be REMOVED:
libgnomeprintui22 libgnomeprint22 libgnomecups libgdl guile
gtksourceview2 graphviz
gnome-build glade3-libgladeui devhelp autogen-libopts autogen anjuta
perl-gettext

After the operation, 27.1 M will be freed.
Continue? [YES/no]:
Removing anjuta-1:2.4.1-1.fc9 [error]
Removal of (15889)anjuta-1:2.4.1-1.fc9.i386(@System) failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: package
anjuta-1:2.4.1-1.fc9.i386 is not installed

Abort, retry, ignore? [A/r/i]: i
[...]
Removal of (16168)guile-5:1.8.5-1.fc9.i386(@System) failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: package
guile-5:1.8.5-1.fc9.i386 is not installed
[...]

Packages with Epoch set are so common in Fedora that it is almost
impossible to use zypper to remove such packages. I guess that zypper
does not strip the '<Epoch number>:' part prior calling 'rpm -e' (or
whatever it calls). I don't know if SuSE has a patched version of rpm
or packages are not Epoch-versioned at all.
My zypper version is 0.11.10 retrieved from openSuSE 11 branch.
I'll see if I can make a patch to fix this.

Regards
--
Lorenzo Villani
Blog: http://blog.binaryhelix.net