Re: [zypp-devel] Satsolver & solvable install size
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:01:25 +0100
* Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx> [Oct 29. 2007 16:30]:

I wouldn't want to bloat the Solvable data structure even more whenever
some new wish for an interesting attribute comes up. It should hold only
the information essential for solving the dependency problem.

Finding a 'good' solution most probably needs this data, e.g.
- check vendor (only upgrade to same vendor)
- check size (prefer solutions with small download size)
- ...

Such decisions are to be taken during dependency solving and are
controlled by policies.

Tools like YUM and APT have a nice policy model, allowing one to
code policy extensions (i.e. in perl or python) taking such 'extended
attributes' into account.

Moving forward, we should define a list of 'default' (read: present for
packages) attributes and how to access them.

Next step would be a 'policy api' allowing user-defined policies
to be included in the solving.

Klaus