Re: [yast-devel] yast++ name
On Friday, September 02, 2011 12:55:22 pm Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Dne 2.9.2011 11:12, Thomas Goettlicher napsal(a):
YaST++/-- is just codename for project. Packages ( now located at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=YaST%3AHead%3Ayastpp (
not all packages packaked yet, WIP ) has own names, which is not
problem for RPM. Josef

The project's name is 'YaST++', in git it's called 'yast--' and the
buildservice projects is 'yastpp'. That's somehow inconsistent and might
confuse newbies. I'd prefer a unique name.

YaST++ is the same comparing to YaST2 as C++ to C :) At least that's how
I understand the codename.
Yes, YaST++ is YaST2 incremented by one. Please don't call it YaST3!

yastpp just translates the ++ to pp, IMO ++ in RPM is OK as several C++
packages with ++ in their RPM name are already in our distro.
As long as + or - don't cause conflicts I'm fine with it. But you never know.

I'm also for unification, but I believe ++ is not an issue.
The earlier, the better. The question is if the new name should/must contain
the word 'yast". On the one hand it would be a good point in time for a new
name in order to abandon all these silly myths like "yast is slow and
overwrites files" cited by people who haven't used YaST for years. One the
other hand the brand "YaST" has a great reputation in the community and among
system administrators. According to them is YaST _the_ configuration tool that
makes the difference. That's the reason why I think we should stick with the
name "YaST".

Cheers,
Thomas
--
Thomas Goettlicher
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,