Re: [yast-devel] Changing the Attitude to Coding YaST: debugger

Hello,

On Jun 15 18:32 Thomas Goettlicher wrote (excerpt):
Each and every discussion on YaST becomes to a discussion
why YCP is a bad language.

This may reveal what the central issue is with YaST for developers.

An interesting research project would be a YaST module which is
written in a popular language that doesn't use YCP at all.

Unless such a YaST module exists, any discussion on YaST
(i.e. any discussion on YCP - see above) leads to nowhere.

When this works out a lot of module authors will also rewrite
their YaST modules.

I don't think so. At least I would only do a complete rewrite
if there is at least one additional real advantage for me.
A rewrite only because "YCP is bad" would not make sense for me.
For example such an additional real advantage for me could be
when it is much simpler/faster/easier/unrestricted to implement
the same functionality in the new language.

And in a couple of centuries YaST will be 100% YCP free. :-)

Not so fast!
;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner