Re: [yast-devel] Removing 11.2 build target from OBS YaST:Head ?
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 18:01:32 +0200
Dne 12.10.2010 16:18, Johannes Meixner napsal(a):
[...]
I wonder why there are not more build targets for YaST:Head
like 11.1 and SLE11 - compare e.g. the "Printing" project.

What would be wrong when we provided the latest YaST packages
even for openSUSE_11.1 SLE_11_SP1 SLE_11?

The problem is that these systems might be too different, the latest YaST might
simply not work there.

Yast is very low level tool - any kernel, module option, libzypp, udev, config
file
format or config options change, package rename ...... must be reflected in
YaST.

And that's the problem - creating extra patches for so many build targets
would be too complicated, IMHO the benefit would be quite small compared to the
work
needed.

We are lucky that we can keep YaST uptodate with upstream (and it happens that
something crucial is changed even without being told and that usually leads to
severe
bugs).

Personally, I cannot imagine supporting that wide variety of systems :-(

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k
Yast Developer