[yast-devel] Incredibly slow YCP files parsing (after 11.1 -> 11.3 upgrade)
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 22:41:48 +0200
Hola YaST hackers,

recently I've upgraded my laptop from the ancient 11.1 to 11.3 and since then,
YaST became slower than molasses. It's not my subjective impression only, I
have some evidence to support that claim, though I have (so far) no clue why
is this happening.

Watching the log, I noticed the whole thing hangs on importing some (random?)
modules and the hangs last from 20-30 secs up to several minutes. After that,
it imports some more modules and hangs again on importing something else ...
and so on.

Allright, so I deployed strace. Looking at its output, this command is fast:
'/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/y2base $module qt'

OTOH, this one is incredibly slow:
'/sbin/yast2 $module'

Watching strace output, lines like this scroll by for ages:

[pid 8194] read(7, "b", 1) = 1
[pid 8194] read(7, "u", 1) = 1
[pid 8194] read(7, "s", 1) = 1
[pid 8194] read(7, ";", 1) = 1

OK, so obviously the more YCP files it has to parse, the longer it takes to
launch. Comparing y2-users (lots of YCP files) with y2-inst_release_notes
(relatively few YCP files), the former takes ~5 minutes to launch, while the
latter needs only 5 seconds.

Soo - this can't be a secret YaST feature, can it? :) Am I doing anything
wrong? Did upgrade mess something up? If so, what? Has anyone seen something
like this before (in bugzilla etc.)?
If needed, I can make my laptop available if someone wants to play with it
Greetings

B. ( + her dolphin)