Re: [yast-devel] Proper packaging of WebYaST branding
  • From: Stefan Schubert <schubi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:17:48 +0200
Please have a look to:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/webyast/book_webyast_vendor/?page=/documentation/webyast/book_webyast_vendor/data/sect1_7_chapter_book_webyast_vendor.html

This should also work with config files. (I have never tested) cause:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/webyast/book_webyast_vendor/?page=/documentation/webyast/book_webyast_vendor/data/sect1_8_chapter_book_webyast_vendor.html

works too.

Greetings
Stefan

Am 03.08.2010 10:36, schrieb Jiri Suchomel:
[sorry if you get this twice, I have some problems sending mails]

Hi!

We've just discussed with Ladislav how vendors should properly
customize their appliances. The question is not about the files that
need to be changed (these are described e.g. at [1]) but about proper
delivery of the modified files.

For example, Ladislav has created webyast-slms-branding package [2],
which provides modified versions of some config files (like
basesystem.yml for SLMS 'firstboot' workflow). However, installing
such package brings conflicts with the files that are already
installed (default basesystem.yml is part of webyast-firstboot-ws
package).

I see two possible solutions:

1. branding packages provided by vendor should not install their
config files directly, but to some special subdirectory and copy them
to correct location in post-install scripts: something similart that
is done with sysconfig values. Such solution should be documented, so
vendors know how to create branding packages.

2. we should not install such config files (basesystem.yml,
control_panel.yml, eulas.yml) in our webyast packages directly to
their target location (/etc/webyast), but only as example files:
either to specific directory (e.g. /usr/share/doc) or with specific
extension (/etc/webyast/basesystem.yml.example). With this way, vendor
could more easily package their customized config files. On the other
hand, we'd need to adapt some of our webyast packages to reflect this
change into ATK 1.1.

Opinions?

[1]
http://www.novell.com/documentation/webyast/book_webyast_vendor/?page=/documentation/webyast/book_webyast_vendor/data/cha_webyast_vendor_overview.html

[2]
https://build.suse.de/package/show?package=webyast-slms-
branding&project=home%3Alslezak%3Abranches%3ADevel%3ASLMS%3A1.1