Re: [yast-devel] Re: WebYaST on the Wiki: redirects
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:04:23 +0200
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:52:18PM +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Jul 20 14:35 Henne Vogelsang wrote (shortened):
On 20.07.2010 14:04, Martin Vidner wrote:

I disagree. URLs should be stable, especially when the cost is low.
I'll start moving the pages to the new locations and I'll put in
redirects whenever I find a broken link.

Don't please. We have put a lot of work into this new structure and we
don't need to destroy it again with tons of redirects. Please follow the
new guidelines.

[...]

Therefore redirects are needed - not for each old article - but
for each old article for which we provide a link to our users.

Exactly. If the redirects indeed destroy the new structure, which is
valuable and I do appreciate the work people put in it, then it is a
bug in the wiki engine that we should fix. The redirects should
invisibly sit there and only help when someone uses an old link.
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner