Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST - control panel configuration
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:51:59 +0100
Ladislav Slezak write:

Hi all,

I have added a new config file for the WebYaST control panel.
It's stored in /etc/webyast/control_panel.yml file.

It could be problem if we want separate ws from ui, as this directory is used
for ws now so it could be confusing if you modify ui behavior in same directory
as ws behavior.

This change allowed me to fix bugs:
Bug 558027 - Regularly update patch status
Bug 558028 - Health status needs to be updated regularly
Bug 580025 - It should be possible to disable "update status" and "system
status" in
the control center

So the overall statuses are automatically refreshed now or they can be
completely
turned off (that can be useful during development or testing, you don't need
to wait
for checking updates and system status).

Here I'd like to discuss some issues I found:

The config is stored in /etc/webyast/control_panel.yml and there are some
other files
in that directory, but I found that there is /etc/webyast/vendor/logs.yml
config file.

So my question is what is /etc/webyast/vendor directory for? Is there any
difference
between /etc/webyast/vendor*.yml and /etc/webyast/*.yml files? Which one
should I use
in this case?

Another problem I see is in the defaults:

1) The requested default for patch status refresh is 24 hours. I agree that
this
refresh timeout should be rather longer, but this is too long - the problem
is that
24 hours refresh time out collides with session time out.

After 24 hours the session will be invalid and no status will be displayed
and thus
the feature with this particular refresh value is useless.

So I'd like to change it to something like 6 or 8 hours.
I agree that sounds reasonable.

2) A similar problem is with the system status time out (but the other way
round in
this case). The requested default value is 1 minute which I find too low.
Evaluating
system status is a quite expensive operation and takes a long time.

Doing that every minute creates extra load on the target machine. More over
if users
really need such an immediate warning I guess they will very likely use other
means
(like email, SMS message, custom scripts, etc.) without WebYaST involved.

So here I propose to use default time out value of 5 or 10 minutes.

It is too long for me. 1 minute is good as it can contain problems which you
want see ASAP. If it is too big load then we should more optimalize it (like
simplier question on backend - same solution use permission which return
description for permission only on request).

Josef
--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team